Crossbite can occur in the front and/or the sides of the mouth. One or more upper teeth bite on the inside of the lower teeth. This can occur with a single tooth or multiple teeth. Early correction of crossbite is recommended.
Crossbite should be corrected because it may:
- cause premature wear of the teeth.
- cause gum disease including bone loss.
- cause asymmetrical development of the jaws.
- cause dysfunctional chewing patterns.
- make your smile less attractive.
How can a crossbite be orthodontically corrected?
If there is a single tooth crossbite, the tooth can be moved with braces into the correct position. In some cases, a retainer can be utilized. With multiple teeth in crossbite, the arch needs to be expanded with braces or other intra-oral appliances.